The client’s South Australian foundry is a major supplier of cast metal products to the mining industry. The foundry was undergoing an upgrade as part of its Odour Environmental Improvement Program.
The client selected Advitech’s environmental team to provide an expert evaluation of the air quality aspects of the proposed foundry upgrade. With 27 years of technical experience, our process and environmental engineers were well placed to provide a high-quality technical assessment of the proposed odour control measures, and support the client in achieving its odour improvement objectives.
Advitech’s engineers applied dispersion modelling to evaluate air quality and building ventilation design. The air quality model provided a quantitative measure of environmental impacts, with the flexibility required to undertake numerous air quality sensitivity analyses. The client was quickly and effectively provided with the knowledge required to understand the full impacts of the proposed fume extraction system, and the ability to optimise the design before construction began.
Specifically, the air quality model provided the foundry operator with the knowledge to:
- understand air quality impacts from specific sources
- understand the impact of each construction element
- refine and optimise the design of structures including stack height, stack location, ventilation system design and ducting layouts
- understand the overall environmental impact associated with each construction stage
- communicate effectively with the South Australian Environmental Protection Authority to demonstrate efforts to reduce environmental impact.
On completion of construction, the air quality model would continue to support the foundry. For example, the model helps determine when certain activities are least likely to cause odour nuisance. This understanding of the influence of production schedule changes on odour impacts enabled the operator to better manage production into the future.
For more information on this case study, or to enquire about a similar project please contact:
Dr Carl Fung – Lead Engineer, Process & Sustainability | Advitech
+61 2 4924 5400