SMS has extensive ‘pit-to-port’ experience across the mining industry – including coal, copper, iron ore and hard rock mining.
This experience encompasses underground and open-pit mining, haulage, stockpiling, maintenance planning, materials handling and transport.
- SMS undertook modelling and analysis of a complex coal transportation system for a coal stockpiling and logistics upgrade project. Read Full Case Study
- SMS worked with SKM to model the ore handling system associated with a block cave copper mining operation in South America. The simulation modelling reviewed the extraction of ore from over 500 draw points and its delivery to six underground crushing stations, to estimate equipment requirements and review the feasibility of the proposed mine layout.
- SMS simulated a proposed cave development to evaluate alternative designs and explore the impact of various infrastructure arrangements on production. The model was used to develop a strategy for the scheduling of operations and to understand the expected consequences of different rock fragmentation scenarios once production commenced. Several additional studies built on the original model to support further developments at the site.
- SMS modelled an African copper mine – covering mining; road, rail and conveyor transport; and the stockpiling of ore and mullock. The modelling assisted in both mine planning and the development of strategies for the internal transfer of ore/mullock within the mine. The modelling provided an understanding of the complex interactions in the materials handling system and allowed operating procedures to be developed to improve productivity.
- We modelled underground rail logistics to review and optimise the removal, reconditioning and return of longwall roof chocks to avoid rail traffic congestion and minimise lost production time. The modelling allowed the quantitative assessment of alternative strategies and their implementation costs against likely production losses.
- We developed simulation models of open-pit mine and transportation infrastructure to evaluate various development proposals and modes of operation, with a focus on the handling, stockpiling and processing of coal. The primary areas modelled included shovel and trucking operations, stockpile management and coal washery operations.
- Over 30 years’ experience in simulation technologies
- Onsite intranet or secure remote cloud portal deployments
- Ongoing assistance in simulation learnings and outcomes